Monday 18 October 2010

The best kids telly of the 80's & 90's!

Being a big kid who still remembers what it was like to spend hours playing on my Skip-it whilst listening to the likes of Rick Astley and Aswad on my Walkman!!....I hate to admit it but I am three years off 30 and should probably think about acting more my age but who wants to be a mature adult ay?! Not me! I had a bloody fantastic childhood and was privy to some of the best kids telly ever created. Not like that patronising little cow Dora the Explorer! This post is dedicated to the best kid's TV shows of the 80's and 90's.
Every baby of the 80's will have their own personal favourites and these are mine so I hope you'll enjoy this trip down memory lane with me. Please feel free to make a comment at the end of the post if I have or haven't mentioned one of your favourites. They certainly don't make them like they used to!


Button Moon (1980-88)
You'd have to have been living under a rock during the 80's not to have heard of Button Moon! Not only was I a huge fan of the show I also bought the record!!! The show was about the adventures of Mr. Spoon and his family which included Mrs. Spoon, Tina Tea Spoon, her friend Eggbert and a host of other characters. The show was hugely popular and still has a massive cult following to this day.


Sharky & George (1991-98)
If you watched as much telly as I did during the 90's then you're bound to be singing that little jingle in your head...."Sharky and George, the crime busters of the sea......." It was set in the underground city of Seacago and was about two private detectives (Sharky & George) who together foiled the evil plans of a number of Villains trying to terrorize the good folk of Seacago, these baddies included Dr. Jelly and Colonel Claw!


Raggy Dolls (1986-1994)
The Raggy Dolls was about a group of toys who were flawed during the manufacturing process in a toy factory and were subsequently thrown into the reject bin! With names like Sad Sack, Back to front, Dotty and many more I loved the characters and the adventures they had together. I even had the Raggy Dolls theme tune as my ringtone for years, an ode to how much I loved this show!


Family Ness (1984-85)
Family Ness was about a family of Loch Ness Monsters who befriended the MacTout family, imparticularly Elspeth and Angus who were brother and sister. The children could call upon the 'Nessies' in the loch simply by blowing on their "thistle whistles".
What I remember the most about Family Ness is that it had THE best theme tune called "You'll never find a Nessie in the Zoo!"



The Poddington Peas (1989)
The Poddington Peas were a community of peas who lived at the bottom of the garden. The characters all had pea related names like Sweet-pea, Hap-pea, Creep-pea and would you believe it Black Eyed-pea (no joke!) I wonder if that's where they got the name from! Only one series of The Poddington Peas was ever made! Boooooo!



My Little Pony(1984-1987)
The first My Little Pony cartoon was aired in 1984 and although the brand has evolved over the last three decades it was during the mid to late 80's where it was at it's best.The little ponies live in Dream Valley along with their human friend Megan, their dragon friend Spike and a number of other magical creatures. My favourite episode was Escape from Katrina with the cute  little Bushwoolies!
Remember the likes of Applejack, Posey, Lickety Split and Cherries Jubilee?!


Dangermouse (1981-1992)
Dangermouse was a secret agent voiced by Del boy himself, David Jason! He together with his trusty companion Penfold are given assignments by the man in charge, Colonel K, Each episode sees them saving the world from a number of villains, the most notorious being Baron Silas Greenback (a big green Toad!) Although Dangermouse was the main character it was Penfold who I favoured, recognisable by his black rimmed glasses and blue suit and tie, he usually ended up in trouble and had to be saved by his pal Danger mouse.


Fraggle Rock (1983-1987)
Fraggle Rock was a magical and musical spectacular created by the man behind The Muppets, Jim Henson. It's about a community of creatures who live in a system of caves known as Fraggle Rock! Within the caves were portals to other worlds where the characters would often visit. There were hundreds of Fraggles but the main characters were Red, Gobo, Boober, Wembley and Mokey. The series had a variety of different creations from, The Doozers and The Gorgs to Majory the Trash Heap!


Moon Dreamers (1986)
 The Moon Dreamers were a group of celestial children who lived amongst the stars. It was their job to make sure the children of Earth had pleasant dreams. Their enemy, Queen Scowlene, along with her many minions including her daughter Scowlette, would try to disrupt the Moon Dreamers. The characters included Crystal, Bucky, Whimzee, Sparky, Celeste, best friends Bitsy and Blinky and Dream Gazer.
This was a short lived series but I loved it and even collected the dolls which came with their very own dream crystal necklace.


Muppet Babies (1984-1991)
The Muppet Babies was another of Jim Henson's creations which followed the antics of The Muppets as they were babies growing up together in a nursery. Each episode saw the babies embarking on adventures into imaginary worlds but they always returned back to reality and the nursery at the end of the day. They were looked after by a lady called "Nanny" although you never saw her face. All that was shown was the bottom of her pink skirt and her stripy socks.


Thundercats (1985-1990)
The Thundercats were a group of cat-like heroes. Lion-O, Cheetara, Panthro, Tygra, WileyKit, WileyKat and the adorable Snarf! Lion-O is the lord of the Thundercats and keeper of the Sword of Omens which holds the Eye of Thundera. The Thundercats had many enemies but Mumm-Ra features more than any other during the series.
I bloody loved the Thundercats and remember arguing with friends at school about who got to be Cheetara although we would all take it in turns to shout at the top of our lungs "THUNDER, THUNDER, THUNDER, THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOOO!!"

Jem (1985-1988)
The original female rockstar, her hair was fierce as was her makeup, wardrobe and attitude. Jem is the lead singer of Jem and the Holograms and the alter ego of Jerrica Benton, a music company owner who tries to keep her true identity a secret. By means of a holographic machine created by her late father and her magic earrings, Jerrica is able to transform into Jem. The rebel rockers The Misfits are Jem and The Holograms rivals and are equally as stylish!
I had the Jem doll and I loved dressing her up in all her vibrant 80's outfits although the doll seemed much more.....erm......curvy compared to Barbie or Sindy! Jem was a real woman!

Hang on....I need a tissue for this one! This might not be considered as kids TV but I loved this show when I was a wee nipper and had to include it!

The Littlest Hobo (1979-1985)
The Littlest Hobo was a series about a stray dog who went from town to town helping people in need. It first aired in 1968 although it was when it was revived for a second run that me and my sister would sit and watch the adventures of this little stray dog. God knows why my mum let us watch it as we usually ended up in tears when "Hobo" would leave on his own at the end of every show. I couldn't understand why he didn't want to stay with the friends he made and all my mum would say was that he liked being on his own! Again, it had a great theme tune "Maybe tomorrow" which also brings a huge smile to my face and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! Check out the theme tune here

Now for a mushy moment, look away if you're of a delicate nature.........

I'll always look back on this time in my life as my happiest and remembering all the little details about these shows that I grew up with has bought a huge smile to my face and on occasion a tear to my eye. Great shows, fantastic theme tunes and some very happy memories!

There were so many fantastic kids TV shows to choose from, if I didn't list one of your favourites then please feel free to reminisce with me in the comments below.

Bye for now

xxx

1 comment:

  1. Ohh I love sad sack!

    also, used to wake up at 5:30am to watch Sharky & George... mind you was was 19 :S

    Good times!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...